Technology and Travel in Asia

For the last 3 weeks I have been reading every article and blog on "tips" for traveling in Asia, particularly how I can use the latest gadgets and apps to do everything from staying in touch with people back home to checking flight status to accessing maps of subways while on the go to what cell phone service to use. Here are some quick tips:
  • Your iphone will work in China, but you need to contact AT&T for worldwide traveler service, but be prepared to pay $2.99 a minute...and be sure to turn off your data feed.

  • You also can have your iphone unlocked which allows you to use a Chinese SIM card...I am still working on this one....on hold with AT&T even as I write.

  • Use your Skype account to make calls on your computer which allows you to make free calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world and if you use Skype to dial home its just a few cents per minute (vs. AT&T). The downside is that depending on your internet connection your conversation can sometimes be broken up. Skype also has video ability which can be used as you talk from one Skype user to another. Last night we loaded Dottie's computer with the Skype application which is free and downloadable from the internet....now to teach her how to use it.

  • You can purchase Boingo Mobile service which will allow your iphone access to the internet just about anywhere in the world including hotels, McDonald's, Starbucks etc. The downside is the review on this iphone application are mixed.

  • About a month ago I downloaded to my iphone an app called Tripit (which I can also access on my computer) which keeps track of all of my itineraries. You simple email your travel plans that you received from your travel agent or the website on which you purchased your ticket and Tripit automatically puts it into your itinerary (how it does this is beyond me - but it works) Tripit then sends you updates on all your flights as well as provides maps for all the cities you will visit. It also has the ability to merge all the information into your icalendar.

  • Blogspot is probably the easiest way to keep friends informed. Since Facebook is not allowed in China an RSS feed from Blogspot to Facebook will allow your posts to Blogspot to also be posted to your Facebook page (at least that is my hope). An RSS feed on your Blogspot from your Twitter account will also allow your Twitter updates to be posted on your Blogspot page.

  • I also am going to use Shutterfly to make updates to my blog and Facebook account for large photo files, but I think you can use other more popular photo sites as well.

  • In Korea my iphone may not work so I may rent a phone at the airport, which is what I had to do during my last visit.

  • My back up plan is that the six students who will be taking care of me while I travel (Mengli, Yuxuan, Soki, Seulki, A Young and Hae Jin) all have cell phones....and I have all their numbers and given those numbers to people in my office at the Academy.
The more I read the more I realize I should have started this research 4 months ago, but the experience over the next few weeks will be an education in itself.